December 7, 2016

IWSG #15: I Am...Back?

IWSG
Yes, it's hard to believe, but after a one year hiatus of participating with the world famous Insecure Writer's Support Group, I decided to take the semi-polar ice plunge yet again.

So without further ado, I welcome one and all to the Father Nature's Corner's Version 2.016 of the IWSG blog hop, because you just know that on the 1st Wednesday of every month is when every single writer worth the computer they use to churn out fantastically high quality verbiage comes together to commiserate, to challenge and to toot their highly polished Flugelhorn to the high heavens.

So...to get everyone up to speed since we've last got together, I converted one of my semi-dormant Tumblr blogs earlier this year to a (mostly) basic writing blog called I Are Writer! At that blog, I share, expound and expand on my crazy writing adventures. When you get a minute, please feel free to peruse, and please note that commenting isn't really allowed on it. Not by my choice, but by their design.

On the writing front, around early August {e-book} and early November {print}, I came out with a modest short story collection entitled What Is Life? that tackles the twin themes of the four stages of life and the four seasons.

Also on the writing front, I'm happy to announce that I have limited copies of my only traditionally published book, Line 21, on sale for more than to 50% off the Amazon cover price of the reissue. Please click on the title for further details.

And now, the part you all been waiting for, or at least checking the time on your computer, The. Question. Of. The. Month.: "In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now and how do you intend to get there?"

I see myself five years from now, happily plugging away with my writing. Consistency has always been that one semi-annoying trait of mine that has dogged me throughout most of my life, so I would like to channel that consistency into my writing. I'm a slow writer by nature (I self-publish roughly once a year), so I would like to be able to pick up the pace a little. Which probably would mean a radical change from the current length of my writing projects (which is roughly long novella/short novel) to something much shorter and tighter.

I would also like to see myself firmly entrenched in one particular genre as opposed to being all over the place. While some people say diversifying is a good thing, I find that I need/want/crave the consistency of writing a particular kind of fiction. I don't really mind venturing off into the worlds of G/PG/PG-13, my feet has always been firmly planted in the realms of R/NC-17, and that's where I would like to have the bulk of my writing remain, with only the rare exit to those family-friendly worlds.

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who took the time to stop by to read and say hi, and I look forward to visiting everyone in the near future.

(c) 2016 BOOKS BY G.B. MILLER. All Rights Reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back!

    Congrats on your short story collection. The cover is really beautiful.

    And best of luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!
    As one who has stuck to one genre, it does make things easy. Fans certainly know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I agree that it does make things easier sticking to one basic genre. You can definitely tweak what you write within that particular genre, just to keep things fresh, but consistency is the key, and that's what I want to strive for in the immediate future.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, insecurity never leaves. I wear mine like a badge of honor.

    Consistency is more valuable than gold, so just sticking to it is huge. Plus, the fact that you can keep plugging away on new books. We have plenty of friends who are one pump chumps - they write a book, and then after that, just have no idea what else to write about and eventually quit altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually like that after my first book. For about several months, I had no idea on what to write about and eventually came out with a short story trilogy until I was able to figure it out.

      Delete
  4. I have a difficult time just sticking to one genre or interest. Maybe it's been a curse to any semblance of success as far as writing goes, but I sure manage to keep my mind jumbled up with a lot of stuff. If one could see my mind it would probably look a great deal like my cluttered writing office space.

    to toot their highly polished Flugelhorn to the high heavens.---Love that phrase!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been like that for a few decades and it's only been very recently in that I've been able to narrow my focus on my writing.;

      Thanks. I use a flugelhorn in one of my stories, so I though it would be more than appropriate here.

      Delete
  5. Welcome! Please email me details about getting my signed copy...

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.