May 18, 2015

A Tale Of Non-Smartness

I had a post that I partially wrote earlier this week and the intention was to complete for today. Alas, poor Yorrick I knew him Horatio, but other obligations were thrust upon me (mandatory overtime for work, doing beta reading for a fellow writer, summer weather, the great outdoors, WRITING) thus preventing poor Yorrick who knew Horatio not-so-well from completing said post.

But....have no fear, Underoos is here with a tale of how a local po-po department can make a good impression not.

Last Thursday afternoon, I was taking my mandatory siesta (aka break) out in the front courtyard at work (aka, sitting on a garden wall people watching/meditating), when a locally intoxicated numbnut staggered across the courtyard and came to a quivering stop some five feet from me.

Full of liquid courage and probably containing a blood alcohol high enough to light a match simply by breathing on it, said intoxicated numbnut began challenging me to a fight (aka, repeating the phrase "stand up" with the appropriate hand gestures). I attempted to speak to him in a language the he could comprehend (monosyllables), but after having my seriously short three letter word fall on deaf ears, I decided to go back inside. As a parting shot, said intoxicated numbnut complained that I was "disrespecting him" by walking away.

I talked to security, who immediately called the local constabulary (aka Hartford Po-Po) to say that a drunk was harassing an employee. The HPPD promptly said, "We'll send a squad car over". Said intoxicated numbnut staggered down the road to harass the local food truck, then staggered back to the package store to buy more booze, thus increasing his blood alcohol to a higher level of stupid.

Not once did the local po-po find the time to show up and arrest said numbnut. To say I was disappointed would not be a good choice of word. Nor would saying I was surprised would be a good choice of world either. A good choice of word would be: it figures.

Moral of this tale: Unless you're a employee of the local hospital and somehow get injured doing something stupid, in which case the po-po will bust a donut to get there, don't expect the po-po to show up in a timely manner, because in this city, quality of life crimes really don't matter. It's much better to be reactive than proactive.

One other tidbit I must mention: In Connecticut, it's actually a felony to threaten/harm a state employee.

(c) 2015 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

16 comments:

  1. Well, at least he didn't take a swing at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true...I think he would've if had stood like he wanted me to.

      Delete
  2. The police failing to do their job? I would never imagine!

    You know, for all the times I've seen it in television and movies, I've never seen someone this drunk and obnoxious. Maybe we just hang out in the wrong places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen people drunk and obnoxious before, just not in the daytime. And this guy was a real winner...ummm....whiner.

      Delete
  3. The police don't arrive very rapidly in my suburb of Atlanta either. I witnessed an accident one day and it took them 45 minutes to show up (looking disinterested, at best.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe if he was threatening the donut shop instead they would've shown up?
    How sad to be that trashed in the middle of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exceptionally sad, especially for that particular neighborhood. Even though my office building is semi-surrounded with low income housing, people are usually sober and busy living their lives to the best of their ability.

      Delete
  5. Speaking of summer weather, I think I'm going to get out for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a very good plan. I'm hoping to do this this upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

      Delete
  6. The other day Iu couldn't comment again...
    I wish I could get the boss where I work to get serious about stopping harrassment. They all get away with jeering at me while I'm stuck at my station n they are not, breaking my needed concentration to keep up so stuff isin't ruined. I work with obsessive folks who keep it up all day after being asked to leave me alone repeatedly. I should really sue their butt- butI need the job.
    Your case sounds like a State Police call should be made to file a complaint.
    Anyway, don't feel too bad, I get yelled at for complaing about my harrassment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. The State Police have better things to do with their time, like stonewalling FOI requests over the Sandy Hook incident.

      Delete
  7. Nothing like the good old suburban police to ignore you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suburban is bad. This is city, which is much, much worse.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Oh dear. I saw a similar situation just a couple of days ago. A bus, a car, and a taxi cab made a sandwich of themselves on a main street. The district police station was literally a 30 second walk away from the accident location. I happened to hang around the site for a while, not to rubberneck, but because I had to sort out something on my cell phone before descending into the subway where I would no longer have reception. It was a good 20 minutes before any police personnel showed up to investigate. I mean, really, that looks pretty bad on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twenty minutes to get to an accident scene that was literally right on the front door step is very sad indeed.

      Delete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.