July 30, 2014

A C.M. Classic: Post #292

Time now, for the redundant portion of Father Nature's Corner, where we produce another post in the occasional series entitled "Cedar's Mountain's Classics", in which we take an old post from the original five year odyssey that was my first blog and retool, revamp, regurgitate, reactivate and simply reanimate to something new and shallow.

Today's post is a new spin on C.M. #292, How Your Exacting Standards Can Do More Harm Than Good.

A confession I shall make, or rather, confirm a blinding case of the obvious: I have a mild form of OCD, and when I say mild, it means it doesn't control my life to the extent of turning into an agoraphobic Neanderthal (no, I'm not insulting those who are agoraphobic. well, maybe I am, but you know, lighten up a little). I control it and use it to my advantage when I can.

To tell you the truth, we all need to have a little OCD and we all need to be a little anal in our lives. Without it, life would be incredibly dull. After all, what good is it if you can't have your resident bore hanging about to liven up your party? C'mon, 'fess up, you just KNOW THAT THE SECRET TO HAVING A GOOD TIME IS TO LISTEN SOMEONE DRONE ON AND ONE ABOUT THE PROPER WAY TO CULTIVATE A DANDELION GARDEN, AND WHAT BETTER WAY TO EXPERIENCE THAT THAN TO HAVE YOUR RESIDENT BORE EXPLAIN IT TO YOU IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL?

But, I digress. Or do I?

Anywho, having an exacting standard is a good thing if you're a guv'ment employee, because we all know how guv'ment employees just LOVE TO SAY NO to the general public because a box that measures 6 7/8 x 8 6/7 x 25 1/3 simply won't cut it because we all know that the maximum size of a box should be 6 6/8 x 8 5/7 x 25 1/4.

And having an exacting standard if you're a sports nut is a good thing, 'cause you know that putting 98% effort into it is far better than 97 9/10% effort. Same goes for cleanliness, godliness, emptiness and being single. After all, why be in a relationship when you can find fault with every single person you go out with, thus avoiding things like HAVING A LIFE.

The reality of the situation is this: having an exacting standard is great if you don't want to take chances in life and would rather be a walking talking version of Casper Milquetoast, or if you dig hoarding stuff to the extent of permanently alienating everyone in your life.

But, if you're like me, you learn to take it on the chin a couple of times, pull yourself by your jock strap (or big girl panties), and learn to enjoy the funky things that life has to offer.

Because sometimes, it's better to look like this:


Than to feel like this:



(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

  1. What about that saying "Close enough is good enough for government work" -- or do we only have that saying here in Canada, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra: Here it's, "Not my job man."

    But yours would work in a pinch. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed that one - all caught up now :)

    Recently having discovered that I have OCD, my life actually makes a lot more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M: Like I said, I have a milder version of OCD. Had serious flareups while a teenager and as an adult over the decades. Which explains why I'm so good at researching issues at work and what not.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.