April 30, 2014

Z Is For Z

Well my friends, what a way for me to finish up this 2014 A-Z Blogging Challenge. Once again I'm stuck for an idea to connect with my writing journey via the letter Z.

Shooting blanks, one might say.

Well....not quite.

"But G.B., you just said you were stuck, did you not?"

Yeah, well, I'm a writer, I'm allowed to change my mind.

"But...."

Shhhush, let me get this done.

I recently started listening to music while writing. Mostly it's been hard rock/heavy metal, which matches perfectly with the genre that I'm writing my latest in (crime). However, there have been times when I have drifted into other types of music. Some of it being alt/country like Dwight Yoakum, while others have been like the Texas Blues of Stevie Ray Vaughan. But I always liked a little quirkiness/black humor with my music and Warren Zevon certainly exemplified that with his songs.

Most of you probably know him from his major monster hit "Werewolves of London" from his wickedly black album "Excitable Boy". I kind of like that song but it has been really overkilled on the radio. My personal faves from the album are the title track and "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner".

As you know, Warren Zevon left us way too soon from inoperable lung cancer in 2003. His last album "The Wind" featured a song that became my favorite song about death, or at least one that I could tolerate more than Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven".

So I think this is a suitable ending for this edition of the 2014 A-Z Blogging Challenge, two songs from Warren Zevon: "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner" and "Keep Me In Your Heart".





(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

9 comments:

  1. Fitting way to end the Challenge.
    I also listen to metal when I write.
    Congratulations on completing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex: Thank you kind sir!

    And now, rest for the wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you got through the English Alphabet, it is time for the Greek one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bearman: No way man. One alpha is more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it! You must be tired. Time for you to go have a nap... and catch some zzzzz's. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. S.R.: I did, didn't I? I definitely need a nap, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually never listened to him before.

    Congrats on making it through the alphabet! That is no small feat. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here you are at the end of an amazing challenge. You did a great job and this ending with Zevon introduction is quite interesting. I never heard of him and shall ponder his songs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. M: Thanks.

    Most definitely, but it did help to have everything plotted, outlined and written before hand.

    G.A.: Thanks.

    Warren Zevon is definitely an interesting artist for you to check out. Most people only know him from that one song but his back catalogue is quite extensive.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.