April 21, 2014

R Is For Red Stripe

My second published short story came about in a most peculiar way, well at least for me. I was in the supermarket one day back in October 2010, picking up some odds & ends, when the register that I happened to walk up to was manned by a young lady in her early twenties. Apparently she was wearing part of her Halloween costume, as she had on a pair of ears, a painted nose and whiskers.

That particular image kind of stuck with me long enough for me to sit down at my computer to bang out a short story. It took me about a week or so to write, as I kept getting stuck in certain plot points, and ultimately finished it on Halloween night while I was manning the door.

The most interesting thing about this story is that I managed to weave elements of punk, speed metal and classical guitar music into the story. I also created a character that pays tribute to a particular punk rock singer from the late 70's/early 80's.

The other interesting thing about the story is the title. I've always had a very hard time coming up with a title for my stories and this one was no exception. For my astute readers I'm pretty sure that you were able to guess what the item is that I pulled my title from. This is directly due to the fact that this particular item was hanging around my den that day, so in keeping in the same spirit as the rest of my stories, the title has no connection to the story.

So my friends and fellow blog readers, here is the link to my 2nd published short story, Red Stripe. Please let me know what you think.

(c) 2014 by G.B. Miller. All Rights Reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I'm kinda thirsty for a Red Stripe now...

    Great story, and I especially love the line at the end, about the star that went supernova much too soon. What a striking way to sum everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! All elements I like. Will bookmark it and read it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABFtS: Thanks for the compliment. It really means a lot to me that you found it to be a good read.

    Alex: Thanks.

    This story was one of the few that I managed to hit a home run with.

    ReplyDelete

These days, the written word is to die for, so please leave a comment that shows me and everyone else the real you. All kinds of verbiage will be cheerfully accepted in the spirit it was written.